We left on Friday afternoon and first headed to the Missouri/Iowa border to pick up Ashton from Tod's parents. She had been with them for 2 weeks, and it was so good to see her and get her back with us again! My friend Jackie came along with us for the weekend, and it felt like I had a built in nanny. She was so helpful and with Tod gone, I don't think I could have made the trip without her. When we got to Nauvoo, we had fun exploring the old house and cooking dinner. The house reminded me so much of my Great Grandma Thelma's house, even down to the slamming back door. We were SO thankful the house had great air conditioning since we were in for the hottest weekend of the summer. After dinner, we headed to a show, "Sunset by the Mississippi" and Jackie took the older girls to the British Pageant. It was SO hot and humid but the show was entertaining and fun. Then I took Krystin down Parley Street (the Trail of Hope) which leads to the river and the route the pioneers took when leaving. The little kids loved playing by the river and throwing rocks in the water and it was a beautiful evening.
The next morning, I found myself outside alone for a few moments. And I just kept thinking about how much I love Nauvoo and everything I learned while I was there almost 20 years ago when I did my BYU semester. What a place. I am so glad to be lucky enough to visit it frequently and take my family along with me.
We enjoyed some breakfast and then took the kids on a oxen ride and to a fun show at the Cultural Hall. We visited pioneer past times and had some lunch with other members of our stake who had gathered for the day.
This next picture reminds me of how much we miss Tod...this picture just seems incomplete...but we are trying to make the most of his time away by doing fun, memorable things together!
During the afternoon, Jackie took the girls to see more of the historical sites and Krystin took the boys around to different places like the gun shop. These two are just the best of friends. Sometimes they fight and argue but after just a few minutes they are back together again. They are pretty much inseparable.
I got to stay back while the babies napped and enjoy some reading time. It honestly felt like heaven, just to have some peace and quiet which is so rare at this stage of my life!
After a yummy chicken dinner (it was so fun to be able to cook our own meals at the house), we headed to the Nauvoo pageant. Before the pageant, they have a carnival that is always such good old-fashioned fun- sack races, handcart pulls, crafts...and this year dancing...the big girls really got into that this year. A couple of times I glanced over at my girls, dancing with boys, and my heart skipped a beat because it seems like just yesterday, they were little toddlers watching the puppet show there...and now they were dancing. Time flies.
The pageant itself is always wonderful and such a good reminder of all the pioneers sacrificed to live the Gospel. It was nice this year to be staying in Nauvoo so that we didn't have to drive home so late.
On Sunday morning, we cleaned up the house and headed home. We were all exhausted but so thankful for a weekend spend in beautiful Nauvoo!
The next morning, I found myself outside alone for a few moments. And I just kept thinking about how much I love Nauvoo and everything I learned while I was there almost 20 years ago when I did my BYU semester. What a place. I am so glad to be lucky enough to visit it frequently and take my family along with me.
We enjoyed some breakfast and then took the kids on a oxen ride and to a fun show at the Cultural Hall. We visited pioneer past times and had some lunch with other members of our stake who had gathered for the day.
This next picture reminds me of how much we miss Tod...this picture just seems incomplete...but we are trying to make the most of his time away by doing fun, memorable things together!
During the afternoon, Jackie took the girls to see more of the historical sites and Krystin took the boys around to different places like the gun shop. These two are just the best of friends. Sometimes they fight and argue but after just a few minutes they are back together again. They are pretty much inseparable.
I got to stay back while the babies napped and enjoy some reading time. It honestly felt like heaven, just to have some peace and quiet which is so rare at this stage of my life!
After a yummy chicken dinner (it was so fun to be able to cook our own meals at the house), we headed to the Nauvoo pageant. Before the pageant, they have a carnival that is always such good old-fashioned fun- sack races, handcart pulls, crafts...and this year dancing...the big girls really got into that this year. A couple of times I glanced over at my girls, dancing with boys, and my heart skipped a beat because it seems like just yesterday, they were little toddlers watching the puppet show there...and now they were dancing. Time flies.
The pageant itself is always wonderful and such a good reminder of all the pioneers sacrificed to live the Gospel. It was nice this year to be staying in Nauvoo so that we didn't have to drive home so late.
On Sunday morning, we cleaned up the house and headed home. We were all exhausted but so thankful for a weekend spend in beautiful Nauvoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment