Two weeks ago today, on October 9, my Grandma Betty passed away peacefully. It was a day I had known was coming for a few months, I had even tried to prepare myself, but when the day actually came, I still couldn't believe she was gone. As soon as we found out, there was no question in our minds that we would all be making the trek out to Utah to say our good-byes. Each of us has a personal relationship and love for Gram, including Tod and the girls. By Sunday morning, we were on the road, and we were in Provo by that evening. Knowing that we were coming to honor Gram made the drive much more bearable and the kids were champs. I was so glad that we had decided to all come.
The day of her funeral was an absolutely gorgeous fall day with perfect blue skies. It seemed fitting for this great lady. At the service, the great grandchildren sang and each of the six grandkids shared memories and feelings of Grandma. It was beautiful. I loved standing up with my 3 siblings and my 2 cousins- the six of us bound together by our connection and our grief. The situation felt different from a typical "grandparent " funeral. My own mom has been gone for 10 years, so in many ways my bond with Grandma was more parental and also a tie to my mom. It was difficult to feel that that was ending. At Gram's burial, we released balloons to send our love up to her. That sight is something I will always think about from that day. Also, that several of my mom's friends made the drive to Price to support our family. It was very special. I also loved spending time with family. My mom's brother and his family had taken care of Gram all her life, but especially the last years. There are no words to express thanks to them. I hope that we will remain close to them forever.
Grandma Betty has been such a huge part of my life and such an infuence on me through the years. She has been a part of every major event of my life and most of the minor ones. She has supported me and loved me since the day I was born. I have so many memories of Grandma- from happy childhood days spent in Helper to her role in my life even across the miles after I was married with children of my own.
There are so many things I admire about her. Grandma was resilient. She was one of the strongest people that I know. Grandma Betty had a very hard life with many trials and much heartache, yet she was a very happy person who was always concerned for others. Toward the end of her life, when we would talk on the phone, she didn't want to talk about her own problems, but wanted to know about each of the kids and about me. She was a caretaker to all and took care of my mom for the last months of my mom's life, and then gave us strength to get through that ordeal. Grandma was a master cook, and she taught me so much about hospitality and the love of cooking for others. We will all miss Grandma's birthday cards- she never missed sending a card and a little money for each grandchild, spouse or great grandchild. She also sent cards for holidays, too.
In the coming days and years, I will remember Grandma Betty whenever I make homemade pizza or oreo dessert. I will think of her when I eat pink mints, admire flowers in the garden or do a puzzle with my children. I will think of her when I warn my kiddos not to step on the headstones at the cemetary (as she used to tell us!) and when I utter some of her favorite phrases like, "hells-bells, " or "what the devil!" I will remember when I see the little teacups that each of my girls have from her home.
There will be many tears shed (there already have been!) for the absence of Gram. I can't imagine not visiting her or hearing her voice on the phone. For now, I think of her and the glorious reunion she had on the other side with my mom, Grandma Thelma, Grandma Char and others she loved. And I can't wait to see her again, to get a big fluffy hug from her and thank her for all she did for me. I will love you forever Grammie. I already miss you so much.
2 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss! She was a great lady and a lot of my memories from elementary school revolve around her!
We're thinking of you!
Beautiful Jamie! I don't know if I ever really told you, I am sorry for your loss. Have such a strong and wonderful woman in your life is such a blessing!
Post a Comment