Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Close Call!


We had our first encounter with scary Texas weather on Monday night. At midnight, we were awakened to someone pounding on our door and ringing the door bell. That alone is quite alarming. When Tod cautiously opened it, it was our usually calm and laid back neighbor saying that there was a tornado overhead and we needed to get to the bathtub (standard hide out for tornado protection!). Tod grabbed the girls, I grabbed Regan and a bunch of pillows, and into the tub we went. I wish we had a picture! And no, not all of us were in the tub. Next, things got loud! There was golf balled sized hail (dents on the hood of the van to prove it!) and the wind sounded like a train. Then it was dead silent! That was scary because I have always heard it gets really quiet before a tornado hits. So we waited...and fortunately nothing happened. It passed by and didn't touch down. So back to bed we went...of course the girls were not going to sleep alone after that trauma. We got all settled and the sirens went off again...back to the tub.
We had no idea what was really going on because we have Dish TV which is no help during an emergency because it goes out. After the second set of sirens passed, people were sticking their heads out the doors and saying it was pretty much over. We didn't get much sleep that night! It is amazing to think how a natural disaster could change you life in a second and how much you really mean it when you pray for safety. I also have a renewed zeal for emergency preparedness.

7 comments:

Jiles Pfamily said...

oh my goodness. my heart is beating like crazy from reading your story. i am glad everything is okay. this isn't really emergency preparedness but food storage. here is a link to my friends website i really like it http://www.everydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com/ hope it gives you some good ideas.

Kendra said...

We had to go through this exact thing a few times while we were living there. We've got dents on the car and pickup from the HUGE hail balls too. It is seriously so scary and it has traumatized Z. She asks us almost every night if there are tornadoes here. And when we talk about emergency preparedness she just can't take it, because it "makes her get bad things in her head!"

I'm sorry you had to go through this, and I'm sure glad you're okay.

P.S. I always wished we had one of those radios (I don't know where you get them - probably some e.p. store.) when we had tornadoes. We also had Dish and never knew what was going on.

Rebecca said...

I wish you would have had a camera too. The entire Snarr clan crammed into one tubby, smiles and all. Definitely a scrapbooking moment.

Deirdra said...

That is absolutely crazy and scary! I am so glad everything is okay. Things like this really do make me realize that I definitely need to be prepared. And I may just have paid money to see you all crammed in the tub. What a sight! Aren't you finding out soon where Tod will be working?

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Wow, I'm so glad everything is okay. Yesterday there was a funnel sighting by our house.. I thought to myself "I'll just go get in the tub with the kids.." Thanks for the emergency safety lesson:)!! Have a great day.

Adolescent Family said...

I thought Iowa weather was bad! Yikes. I'm glad to hear you are all well.

I love reading up on you guys since you've been gone. :)

jodi said...

Scary!! I'm glad you guys are ok. Your girls are SO cute! I can't believe how much they look like you. It is SO much fun to see them, it has been WAY too long!

Regan's 10th Birthday!